Re: [Kgdb-bugreport] compiling kernel with -O0 flag - Lets make it a config option!

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 14:26 +0530, Amit S. Kale wrote:
> That's great! Let's include this in kgdb documentation.

Why not make it a config option to compile -O0 and
leave in the static_inline --> inline declarations so developers
can easily just change "static inline" to "static_inline"
in the areas of the kernel that they are working on.

There are already so many things that should be included
in the kgdb documentation that aren't. For example using
kgdboe and NAPI. Seems to me NAPI should be disabled by
our config menu until the problems are resolved. Leaving
land mines laying around just frustrates the user community.
Same for debugging -O0; it should be configurable.

Andrew: would including these kinda of changes in the
        the kgdb patch be a problem for eventual integration?
        IMHO it just makes the kgdb patch that more worthy
        of integration. Makes debugging it at least twice
        as enlightening. I'd still like to find a
        fix for the kgdb list problem and get code to
        stop using enpty structures instead of correctly
        including the structure declarations; for example
        the device mapping code. I'd like to see kernel
        code written with debug-ability a major consideration.

-piet