Re: EIP Errors kernel 2.6.18 .AND hard lockup ...

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:39:49 CDT, Ben Duncan said:
> I am not sure why this should got to nVidia (Please, I
> personally know the Head of nVidias' Linux driver development,
> so if it is a nVidia problem, I can help there).

Maybe is, maybe isn't.

> desktop kernel: EIP:    0060:[<c01ba714>]    Tainted: P      VLI
                             proprietary module loaded--^

> To me seems to be a PDFLUSH eip and the nvidia stuff is just
> a by product of loaded modules, no?

The point is that we can't know that the NVidia module hasn't stomped on
some random memory location that happened to corrupt a radix tree.  Note
that this is true even if you've loaded and then unloaded the module - it
may have splatted something before it departed....

Is it a replicatable error, and if so, can you replicate it without loading
the NVidia module?  If you can come up with a traceback that doesn't have
an NVidia tainting in it, we'll be glad to look at it.  Conversely, if you're
able to replicate it with nvidia loaded, but not without, toss it over
the fence to your friend.