Re: Results of an informal GPLv3 poll amongst kernel contributors

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 05:22:48PM +1000, [email protected] wrote:
> Could you give some indication of how many of the people in this poll
> have actually read the GPLv3 draft? Were they asked that?

It would be rather crass to give a position on something you haven't
read, especially if the results are to be published.

> In a moment of weakness one of the people listed in the poll mentioned
> to me that he hadn't actually read the draft.

That is rather disappointing to hear.  If the point of the poll was to
collect people's whims instead of informed judgements (which is what
it becomes if people didn't read the draft) then the result is meaningless
and would be laughed at.

I can only hope that everyone else did as I did and refused to give a
response _until_ they had read the draft and thought about it.

I also hope that whoever it was is now hiding in a corner feeling very
sorry for themselves for having let the rest of us down.

I think anyone who did respond to the poll but who hadn't read the draft
should have their vote struck off and the results re-published.

Very disappointed.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core