Re: Fw: 2.6.17 oops, possibly ntfs/mmap related

>  > > Given a machine check happened, the state of the machine in general
>  > > is questionable.  I'd recommend a run of memtest86+
>  >
>  > That was already done.  No memory errors were reported over 10 passes.
>  >
>  > Secondly, the machine check indication was only present on one of the two
>  > oopses we saw.  Furthermore, there was no indication in any log files
>  > that a machine check had occurred in the case of the second oops.
>  > Then again, perhaps machine checks don't get logged which would make this
>  > observation irrelevant.
>  >
>  > Could we be looking at a dying CPU?
>
> Maybe. Or some other hardware problem. Insufficient cooling/power for eg.

Power and cooling should be fine, and I've checked fans etc for correct
functioning - all is ok.  The other thing worth noting is that the problems
with this machine only started once the USB/NTFS HDD started being used.
Before this the machine has been rock solid for 2+ years, and the usage
patterns haven't changed.  Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and post any
subsequent information as it becomes available.

Regards
  jonathan