RE: The GPL: No shelter for the Linux kernel?

>Second, I should point out again that it is unfortunate that Linus did not
>retain for himself the exclusive right to modify the Linux kernel license.
>If some real problem ever does emerge in the GPLv2 as applies to Linux, it
>will be extremely difficult to resolve.

Easy to resolve, but difficult to implement:
remove the offending code (and rewrite).

>This is probably going to be controversial, but Linus should seriously
>consider adding a clause that those who contribute to the kernel from
>now on consent to allow him to modify the license on their current
>contributions and all past contributions, amending the Linux kernel
>license as appropriate.

Now that you raise it: I think developers can already have done that
if they wish - properly name author and conditions who may possibly
change the license to what. Not that I have seen such code yet, but you
never know.

Jan Engelhardt