Re: Smaller compressed kernel source tarballs?

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>>
>> It seems the "lzma" program from LZMA Utils can:
>>
>> http://tukaani.org/lzma/
>>   "Very similar command line interface than what gzip and bzip2 have."
>>
>> (Debian sid has this in the "lzma" package.)
>>

> Yes, it can.  If that's the way things go then I don't mind it, however,
> my biggest problem with lzma utils is that the command line parsing is
> done in a shell script wrapper.

Well, I don't see any shell code here, in /usr/bin/lzma as in istalled from
debian version 4.43-2.

But note that this lzma utility does not have any 'magic number' and does
no crc checks.  On the site it's said lzma(sdk) is under rewrite to support
new format with magic number and crc checks...

After reading this thread I wanted to teach GNU tar to automatically recognize
..tar.lzma archives - and failed, eactly because of the lack of magic number
at the start of a file...

/mjt