Re: 2.6.19 -mm merge plans

From: Jeff Garzik <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:33:27 -0400

> Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > I think it would help if you went back to using meaningful names for
> > releases, because 2.6.19-test1 is pretty clearly a test release even to
> > people who can't figure out if a number is odd or even. Then after
> > people stop reporting show stoppers, change to rc numbers, where rc
> > versions are actually candidates for release without known major bugs.
>
> Actually, considering our group of developers, I think "-rc" has been
> remarkably successful at staying on the "bug fixes only" theme.

I agree.

But even on that note I would love to have a release cycle where I
didn't merge any new features and could work entirely on the bugs
that never get worked on.

Sure, I'll still be merging new features into my "N + 1" tree.
But my pure interactions with Linus's tree can focus entirely
on bug fixing, and I really want an environment in which to
concentrate on that exclusively.

I think the even/odd idea is great, personally.  And if this
makes some people have to wait a little bit longer for their
favorite feature to get merged, that's tough. :-)

I truly think we need to move towards a more stability minded
mode and back off on the new features just a bit.