Re: [ckrm-tech] [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction

On 9/20/06, Chandra Seetharaman <[email protected]> wrote:

Interesting. So you could set up the fake node with "guarantee" and let
it grow till "limit" ?

Sure - that works great. (Theoretically you could do this all in
userspace - start by assigning  "guarantee" nodes to a
container/cpuset and when it gets close to its memory limit assign
more nodes to it. But in practice userspace can't keep up with rapid
memory allocators.

BTW, can you do these with fake nodes:
 - dynamic creation
 - dynamic removal
 - dynamic change of size

The current fake numa support requires you to choose your node layout
at boot time - I've been working with 64 fake nodes of 128M each,
which gives a reasonable granularity for dividing a machine between
multiple different sized jobs.

Also, How could we account when a process moves from one node to
another ?

If you want to do that (the systems I'm working on don't really) you
could probably do it with the migrate_pages() syscall. It might not be
that efficient though.

Paul