Re: Uses for memory barriers

Alan Stern wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Nick Piggin wrote:

I don't think that need be the case if one of the CPUs that has written
the variable forwards the store to a subsequent load before it reaches
the cache coherency (I could be wrong here). So if that is the case, then
your above example would be correct.

I don't understand your comment. Are you saying it's possible for two CPUs to observe the same two writes and see them occurring in opposite orders?

If store forwarding is able to occur outside cache coherency protocol,
then I don't see why not. I would also be interested to know if this
is the case on real systems.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.