Re: Network performance degradation from 2.6.11.12 to 2.6.16.20

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:27:57PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> The codebase for timing (and lots of other things) is quite different
> between 32bit and 64bit. You're really surprised it doesn't work if you do such things?

It works, and after your remark above, I'm surprised.
Dunno about slow TSC drift though, there was not enough time passed to
detect it, and I hope we will have this problem soved in a better way
before the drift becomes visible :)

> > But the question is, why stock 2.6.18-rc7 could not use TSC on its own?
>
> x86-64 doesn't use the TSC when it deems it to not be reliable, which
> is the case on your system.

Could it at least print something so that I know that using TSC  was
considered, but rejected?

> > What hardware exactly. Doesn't it affect only CPU? And they are not
> > know to fail before any other components.
>
> All hardware. It's basic physics.

Hm, what other hardware is affected by idle=poll? Does this option ear
out HDDs?
~
:wq
                                        With best regards,