Re: [linux-pm] OpPoint summary

On Sep 18, 2006, at 7:33 AM, Richard A. Griffiths wrote:

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 19:48 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

Care to resend your patches in the proper format, through email so that we can see them, and possibly get some testing in -mm if they look sane?

Greg,
  here's the patch that implements operating points for different
  frequencies
for the speedstep-centrino line of processors. Operating points are created
in much the same manner that cpufreq tables are.  This works for both
simple implementations like the centrino and more complex SoC systems
like the arm-pxa72x which has several clocks to control, and different clock
divisors and multipliers.

+static struct oppoint lowest = {
+       .name = "lowest",
+       .type = PM_FREQ_CHANGE,
+       .frequency = 0,
+       .voltage = 0,
+       .latency = 15,
+       .prepare_transition  = cpufreq_prepare_transition,
+       .transition = centrino_transition,
+       .finish_transition = cpufreq_finish_transition,
+};

We had nice, descriptive interface... with numbers. Now you want to
introduce english state names... looks like a step back to me.

Maybe a compromise could be reached where a defined set of numbers maps
to  string names ala Unix init states. Many people (at least me) still
invoke init 6 to reboot a system.  A defined table would satisfy both
the number and string camps.

PowerOP allows the platform to define the name. In our cpufreq integration patches, we reuse the same name that cpufreq centrino used.

Richard