Re: tracepoint maintainance models

* Roman Zippel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > > This thread would be much better off talking about how to go about
> > > implementing lightweight markers rather than spent on mindless rants.
> >
> > i agree, as long as it's lightweight markers for _dynamic tracers_, so
> > that we keep our options open - as per the arguments above.
>
> Could you please explain, why we can't have markers which are usable
> by any tracer?

the main reason for that i explained in the portion of the email you
snipped:

> > On the other hand, if we accept static tracers into the mainline
> > kernel, we have to decide in favor of tracepoint-maintainance model
> > #1 _FOREVER_. It will be a point of no return for a likely long
> > time. Moving a static tracepoint or even breaking it will cause
> > end-user pain that needs an _upstream kernel fix_. It needs a new
> > stable kernel, etc., etc. It is very inflexible, and fundamentally
> > so.

of course it's easy to have static markup that is usable for both types
of tracers - but that is of little use. Static tracers also need the
guarantee of a _full set_ of static markups. It is that _guarantee_ of a
full set that i'm arguing against primarily. Without that guarantee it's
useless to have markups that can be used by static tracers as well: you
wont get a full set of tracepoints and the end-user will complain.
(partial static markups are of course still very useful to dynamic
tracers)

( furthermore, there are other reasons as well: i explained my position
  in some of those replies that you did not want to "further dvelve
  into". I'm happy to give you Message-IDs if you'd like to follow up on
  them, there's no need to repeat them here. )

	Ingo