Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.18-rc6-mm1 (-mm2): ohci resume problem

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > As I see it, there are two ways to resolve the problem.  The easiest is to
> > rip out the autosuspend stuff from ohci-hcd entirely.  When my generic
> > autosuspend patches are accepted, the HCD-specific stuff won't be needed
> > so much.  This has the disadvantage that the root hub will never get
> > suspended if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND isn't set.  On the other hand, this is how
> > ehci_hcd works already.
>
> This isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned, but I think that dependancy
> will have to be reflected by some Kconfig rules (eg. if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND
> gets selected automatically if CONFIG_PM is set).

Ultimately the best thing will be for CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND simply to
disappear.  That's the long-term goal.  It was never intended to be much
more than a stop-gap setting, for use while the USB suspend/resume
routines were under development and not entirely reliable.

> > I don't know if this is feasible with OHCI.  For now, I'll include a patch
> > that takes the first approach and disables the ohci-hcd autosuspend
> > entirely.  I think it will solve your problem above.
>
> Yes it does.
>
> Now I'm able to suspend/resume several times in a row with both
> ohci and ehci hcds loaded all the time.  Thanks a lot!

You're welcome.

I'll wait to hear Dave's comments before submitting this.

Alan Stern