Re: cpufreq terminally broken [was Re: community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP]

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:33:28AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Yes, please continue. I do not think we can just rip cpufreq interface
> > > out of kernel, and I do not think it is as broken as you claim it
> > > is. Ripping interface out of kernel takes years.
> > >
> > > I'm sure cpufreq_frequency_table could be moved to asm/ header if you
> > > felt strongly about that.
> > >
> > > I believe we need to fix cpufreq if it is broken for embedded
> > > cases.
> >
> > cpufreq is broken at the cpufreq_driver interface for embedded
> > applications needing control over more than one control variable at a
> > time.
> >
> > That interface only supports setting target frequencies, and expanding it
> > to set target frequencies and voltages is not possible without something
> > like PowerOP.  Adding the types of parameters to cpufreq would likely
> > make cpufreq a mess.
>
> Can we at least try adding that, before deciding cpufreq is unsuitable
> and starting new interface? I do not think issues are nearly as big as
> you think.. (at user<->kernel interface level, anyway; you'll need big
> changes under the hood).

We are trying.  The PowerOP patches from Matt and Eugeny start to put
into place some of the kernel mode plumbing for this in a way that
avoids thrashing the existing models, and it addresses the needs of the
operating point PM community.  Which is large in the CE and Embedded
camps.

--mgross