Re: [patch 3/9] Guest page hinting: volatile page cache.

Martin Schwidefsky wrote
The discard fault happens on access to a volatile that has been
discarded. An important property of the s390 architecture comes into
play here: there are two page tables, a guest page table and a host page
table. What the guest perceives as its "physical" memory is in virtual
storage for the host. An address resolution has to walk two pages
tables, if a pte is invalid in either table you get a fault. A guest
fault if the invalid pte is in the guest table and a host fault if it is

Yes, I'm familiar with that trick. Wasn't sure if you had it in hardware or not.

in the host table. That gives s390 a simple method to implement
discarded pages: the hypervisor just unmaps the page from the host table
and changes the state of the guest page. I can see that you will have a
much harder time to implement this on i386.

Nah, I think we'll do just fine.

Thanks for the info - based on this, I think we can probably use the volatile page / swap cache changes as well for VMware, also pretty much unchanged. Sorry to take so long to look at these patches, BTW - I was on holiday for two weeks.

Zach