Re: What's in linux-2.6-block.git

Al> Jens Axboe wrote:

>> > Does it also address the strange "max_sectors_kb<>192 causes a
>> > 50%-slowdown" problem?
>>
>> (remember to cc me/others when replying, I can easily miss lkml
>> messages for several days otherwise).
>>
>> It does not, the investigation of that is still pending I'm afraid. The
>> data is really puzzling, I'm inclined to think it's drive related. Are
>> you reproducing it just one box/drive, or on several?

Al> Several boxes, same drive.

Al> /dev/hda:

Al> ATA device, with non-removable media
Al> 	Model Number:       WDC WD1200JB-00DUA0
Al> 	Serial Number:      WD-WMACM1007651
Al> 	Firmware Revision:  65.13G65
Al> Standards:
Al> 	Supported: 6 5 4 3
Al> 	Likely used: 6

I've got a pair of drives which are very close in model type, and I
can run some non-destructive tests on them if you like to confirm
what's going on here if you like:

    /dev/hde:

    ATA device, with non-removable media
	    Model Number:       WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
	    Serial Number:      WD-WMA8C4365875
	    Firmware Revision:  17.07W17
    Standards:
	    Supported: 5 4 3
	    Likely used: 6
    jfsnew:~> sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdg | head

    /dev/hdg:

    ATA device, with non-removable media
	    Model Number:       WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0
	    Serial Number:      WD-WMAEK2844058
	    Firmware Revision:  15.05R15
    Standards:
	    Supported: 6 5 4
	    Likely used: 6

The drives have different defaul max_sectors too:

    > cat /sys/block/hdg/queue/max_sectors_kb
    512
    > cat /sys/block/hde/queue/max_sectors_kb
    128

Let me know your test method and I'll run it here and post the
results.

John