Re: SATA powersave patches

Hello, Pavel Machek.

Pavel Machek wrote:
Thanks... I got it to work (on 2 the old tree, I was not able to
forward-port it), but power savings were not too big (~0.1W, maybe).

I'm getting huge (~1W) savings by powering down SATA controller, as in
ahci_pci_device_suspend().

Yeah, it only turns off SATA PHY, so it doesn't result in huge saving. IIRC, it was somewhere around 5 percent on my notebook w/ static linksave mode (turning PHY off on empty port). But link powersaving introduces virtually no recognizable delay, so it's nice to have.

Can you check if there is any difference between [D/H]IPS and static? ICH6M on my notebook can't do DIPS/HIPS, so I couldn't compare them against static.

It would be great to be able to power SATA
controller down, then power it back up when it is needed... I tried
following hack, but could not get it to work. Any ideas?

1. One way to do it would be by dynamic power management. It would be nice to have wake-up mechanism at the block layer. Idle timer can run in the block layer or it can be implemented in the userland.

ATM, this implies that the attached devices are powered down too (spindown). As spinning up takes quite some time, we can implement another level of dynamic PM w/ shorter delay to wake up - drives are not spinned down but controllers are powered down completely.

In any case, channel reset and following revalidation are necessary on wake up - if the device is still spinning, this shouldn't take too long but it will introduce noticeable delay - probably under or around a sec.

2. Another hacky way would be implementing it as an extension of link powersaving. I don't think this is a good idea tho. Waking up a controller usually involves link reset which in turn requires revalidation and reconfiguration of attached device, which should be done from exception handler.

The reason why your hack doesn't work is probably this reason. You need to pass the command to EH and tell it to perform full wake-up sequence and retry the command.

So, I think option #1 is the way to go - implementing leveled dynamic power management infrastructure and adding support in the block layer. What do you think?

Thanks.

--
tejun