Re: 2.6.18-rc6-mm1: GPF loop on early boot

* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >yes - but loading a null selector is a special-case: you dont have to
> >invalidate/reload the shadow, you just have to turn access off. This
> >might or might not make a difference on modern CPUs (it makes a
> >difference with older CPUs) - but it's worth a try nevertheless. You
> >measured a 9 cycles degradation with the %gs method, we could recover
> >some of that.
> >

> It's a worthwhile experiment.  The gain would be the NULL selector
> load, but the loss would be an additional segment reload on context
> switch and TLS ABI incompatibility (which is more difficult to
> quantify).

the ratio between the number of syscalls vs. the number of context
switches is 1-2 orders of magnitude. So a loss of 9 cycles in the
syscall path is roughly equal to a loss of 90-900 cycles in switch_to()
costs ...

the TLS ABI is just a gcc stupidity. Why did they pick the _second_
extra selector, instead of the first one ...? Anyway, perhaps this could
be solved by extending gcc with a switch to also generate __thread code
off %fs. Probably not worth the pain though ...

	Ingo