[OT] RE: bogofilter ate 3/5

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Stuart MacDonald wrote:

can turn all auto-response systems off completely.

Yep. That's the growing up you were looking for earlier.

It looks like we disagree on the method of change required. That's
life.

Indeed. Let me make one final point then. If you think this issue is important, you might start by asking the administrators of linux-kernel and associated lists to toss majordomo away, because sending e-mail to [email protected] (which is a published address, which will respond via e-mail to every message it receives) is the only way to subscribe to linux-kernel. (ie: There is no web form)

You'll want to find all majordomo users and tell them to stop using the program. Also users of ezmlm will be affected as well. And that's just the start.

In reality, there are probably hundreds of mailing list packages that rightfully assume that there is nothing wrong with responding to inquiries they receive via e-mail. And a significant number of these probably offer no native web GUI, making them useless and evil in your new world.

I'd be willing to venture a guess that the majority of Internet mailing lists have some form of an autoresponder associated with them. The SpamCop folks don't seem to address this issue, nor does anyone else I've heard this "no auto-responders" argument from, and nor have you.

You don't have to defend SpamCop's short-sighted attitude. It would probably be better to drop such a silly idea as the termination of all auto-responders, because it will never, ever happen. There are too many legitimate uses of this technology to eliminate it. But as you say, we disagree, that is life...

..Stu

Thanks,
Chase