Re: [2.6.18-rc6] ext3 memory leak

On Thursday 07 September 2006 11:21, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>> I've reported before in thread "[2.6.17.4] slabinfo.buffer_head
>> increases" a memory leak in ext3. Today I verified it is still present
>> in 2.6.18-rc6.
>
>No, sorry, I cannot seem to reproduce it under -rc6. It seems to
> stabilize eventually. But it doesn't under -rc2. I looked through all
> commits to ext3 code between -rc2 and -rc6 and I don't see any obvious
> reasons why a memory leak may have been fixed. Unless somebody can sched
> some light on this, I'll try to upgrade the problematic system to -rc6
> tomorrow.

I just had to restart x because I was playing with keyboard layouts, trying
to get the alt keys to properly type the 3rd level chars and screwing it
all up, and when I had done the restart, that line in slabinfo was
somewhat reset:
[root@coyote root]# grep buffer_head /proc/slabinfo
buffer_head        46789  78858     48   78    1 : tunables  120   60
0 : slabdata   1011   1011      0

And frankly I don't know enough about it to state it as a fact.  Time will
tell though.