Re: Unable to halt or reboot due to - unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0.20 to become free. Usage count = 1

Jesper Juhl wrote:
Hi,

I've got a small problem with 2.6.18-rc5-git2.

I've got a vlan setup on eth0.20, eth0 does not have an IP.

When I attempt to reboot or halt the machine I get the following
message from the loop in net/core/dev.c::netdev_wait_allrefs() where
it waits for the ref-count to drop to zero.
Unfortunately the ref-count stays at 1 forever and the server never
gets any further.

 unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0.20 to become free. Usage count = 1

I googled a bit and found that people have had similar problems in the
past and could work around them by shutting down the vlan interface
before the 'lo' interface. I tried that and indeed, it works.

Any idea how we can get this fixed?

This is usually a ref-count leak somewhere. Used to be IPv6 had issues..then there were some neighbor leaks...but these were fixed as far as I know.

Can you reproduce this on older kernels?

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>