Re: A nice CPU resource controller

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 11:47 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:

> It's my belief that time and priorities are orthogonal. Nice does a good job
> of trying to mix the two,  but in the case of resource management it might not
> be such a good idea.

I don't think they're orthogonal.  If two tasks of identical priority
are contending for cpu, and you choose the one with more time on it's
group ticket, you have effectively modified priorities.

Regardless, nice sounded attractive to me at first, but it's flat wrong
to use a per task variable to store group scope information, so I have
to agree that nice isn't a good choice for group resource management.

	-Mike