Re: Conversion to generic boolean

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 05:18:04PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
At present we have >50 different definitions of TRUE and gawd knows how
many private implementations of various flavours of bool.

In that context, Richard's approach of giving the kernel a single
implementation of bool/true/false and then converting things over to use it
makes sense.  The other approach would be to go through and nuke the lot,
convert them to open-coded 0/1.

I'm not particularly fussed either way, really.  But the present situation
is nuts.

Let's start to kill all those utterly silly if (x == true) and if (x == false)
into if (x) and if (!x) and pospone the type decision.

Ok, sounds like a good idea. But I think those who already use boolean-type can/should be changed. Just have to stop myself of converting "boolean" int's.

                                                       Adding a bool type
only makes sense if we have any kind of static typechecking that no one
ever assign an invalid type to it.
Do not agree on this thou. Of couse it is something to strive for, but _Bool is using the same boolean-logic as C always used:
0 is false, otherwise it is true
so blaming _Bool for using this seem a bit odd. Also, do you mean to approve changing the return-type of all the functions who returns a boolean but uses an integer?