Re: platform device / driver question

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 03:08:51PM +0200, Jan Bernatik wrote:
> hi, I am newbie to linux kernel development, but I couldn't get my
> question answered on #kernelnewbies, and I am not able to get it right
> from code.
>
> I studied smc91x driver to understand how platform driver / device
> subsystem works. On #kernelnewbies channel I was told this driver is
> "hopelessly broken". How should one create and register the
> platform_device/driver ? Is the implementation in smc91x correct ?

Whoever told you that the driver is broken is mistaken.  The driver
works well.  The *chip*, on the other hand, isn't the best of show.

The trouble with the SMC chip is that it has only 4 packet buffers.
When it is used in a design with either a relatively slow CPU or in a
design with other IO performance bottlenecks, it will tend to drop
packets as it is very easy for the buffers to fill with incoming data
before the CPU can unload them.  Nico reported excellent throughput on
one board.