RE: Areca arcmsr kernel integration for 2.6.18?

I posted a feature enchancement request to the Novell bugzilla for the
10.2 openSUSE release (currently scheduled for 2.6.18 AFAIK, depends on
upstream timelines), and the response from Greg was this:

"If this driver is in the mainline kernel, it will show up in our
releases, and that's the only way we can accept it at this point in
time.  We will not backport it to an older kernel version."

If the driver goes into 2.6.19 this means 8 to 12 months of time before
our workstations will be supported enough by Novell to start a more
widespread deployment in the company out of the test lab.  We would
prefer this driver to be made available earlier, if only to make
installation more feasible and kernel upgrades possible.

-Ted Bullock
Nortel Networks