Re: Linux: Why software RAID?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 02:20:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Iau, 2006-08-24 am 09:07 -0400, ysgrifennodd Adam Kropelin:
> > Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:
> > with sw RAID of course if the builder is careful to use multiple PCI
> > cards, etc. Sw RAID over your motherboard's onboard controllers leaves
> > you vulnerable.
>
> Generally speaking the channels on onboard ATA are independant with any
> vaguely modern card.

Ahh, I did not know that. Does this apply to master/slave connections on
the same PATA cable as well? I know zero about PATA, but I assumed from
the terminology that master and slave needed to cooperate rather closely.

> And for newer systems well the motherboard tends to
> be festooned with random SATA controllers, all separate!

And how. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a half-dozen ATA
ports these days. And most of them are those infuriatingly insecure SATA
connectors that pop off when you look at them cross-eyed...

--Adam