Re: Scsi errors with Megaraid 300-8x

Mark Lord wrote:
Johan Groth wrote:

[snip]

Basically, given an I/O request for 200 sectors, with a bad sector
in the middle at number 100, what SCSI will often do is fail sectors
number 1 through 100, one at a time, retrying the entire remainder of
the request after each attempt.  This takes hours, and results in no
data for the first 99 good sectors.

So what you are saying is that after the move to a new box and a new mobo a sector has gone bad on that raid slice? Weird, as I was very careful this those drives when I moved them.

I mean, the raid controller is the same, the cpus are the same, just more of them, the pci-x bus the same so I didn't expect any problems at all.

I was also under the impression that SATA raid controllers work like SCSI raid controllers in the way that if a bad sector is encountered the controller moves what it can and the mark the sector as bad. I might be very wrong about that, though.

However, if I have a bad sector I would like to have that one marked as bad so the kernel never tries to read it again. Any suggestions how I do that. I assume I have to boot something like Knoppix as sda is my system disk.

Regards,
Johan