Re: The Proposed Linux kevent API

Nicholas Miell wrote:
Having looked all this over to figure out what it actually does, I can
make the following comments:

- there's a distinct lack of any sort of commenting beyond brief
descriptions of what the occasional function is supposed to do

- the kevent interface is all the horror of the BSD kqueue interface,
but with no compatibility with the BSD kqueue interface.

- lots of parameters from userspace go unsanitized, although I'm not
sure if this will actually cause problems. At the very least, there
should be checks for unknown flags and use of reserved fields, lest
somebody start using them for their own purposes and then their app
breaks when a newer version of the kernel starts using them itself.

Which reminds me, why go through the trouble of copying the structs back and forth between userspace and kernel space? Why not map the struct array and leave it in place, as I proposed back here? http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_frm/ thread/57847cfedb61bdd5/8d02afa60a8f83af?lnk=gst&q=equeue&rnum= 1#8d02afa60a8f83af

--
 -- Howard Chu