Re: [take9 2/2] kevent: poll/select() notifications. Timer notifications.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:21:36AM +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

poll/select() notifications. Timer notifications.

This patch includes generic poll/select and timer notifications.

kevent_poll works simialr to epoll and has the same issues (callback
is invoked not from internal state machine of the caller, but through
process awake).

I'm not a big fan of duplicating code over and over.  kevent is a candidate
for a generic event devlivery mechanisms which is a _very_ good thing.  But
starting that system by duplicating existing functionality is not very nice.

What speaks against a patch the recplaces the epoll core by something that
build on kevent while still supporting the epoll interface as a compatibility
shim?

Sorry, I'm catching up with a huge post-vacation backlog, so I didn't have the time to look at the source code. But, if kevent performance is same or better, and the external epoll interface is fully supported, than I think the shim layer idea is a good one. Provided the shim being smaller than eventpoll.c :)

- Davide