Re: GPL Violation?

> My only worry is what's the legal status of the vsyscall if the only
> thing that matters is the COPYING file and not its generally agreed
> interpretation.
> -

I've yet to see a generally agreed interpretation on any kind of
exception to the COPYING file (afaik there is none), and if there's no
exception..... I don't think there's a generally agreed interpretation
on when exactly something becomes a derived work either. That is where
lawyers come in, and I suspect that it will even vary from country to
country to some degree, depending on the fine details on exactly how and
what you do. And since I'm not a lawyer, all I can say is: if you want
to live your life on that particular edge, make sure you talk to a good
lawyer or two (and most will give you the advice to really try hard to
not live on that edge, precisely because it's so unclear and varying on
jurisdiction) . Anything else you or I say on this topic is sort of
meaningless since neither of us are lawyers.

On the vsyscall page... I thought it was BSD licensed, and if not, it
probably should be, and I agree with you that that probably wants to be
made explicit somewhere if it's not already.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com