Re: mplayer + heavy io: why ionice doesn't help?

08/18/2006 07:37 PM, Denis Vlasenko wrote/a écrit:
Hi,

I noticed that mplayer's video playback starts to skip
if I do some serious copying or grepping on the disk
with movie being played from.

nice helps, but does not eliminate the problem.
I guessed that this is a problem with mplayer
failing to read next portion of input data in time,
so I used Jens's ionice.c from
Documentation/block/ioprio.txt

I am using it this:

ionice -c1 -n0 -p<mplayer pid>

but so far I don't see any effect from using it.
mplayer still skips.

Does anybody have an experience in this?
Hello

IOnice only works with CFQ, have you checked that you are using the CFQ IO scheduler?
# cat /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler   #put the name of YOUR harddisk

In case it's not the default IO scheduler, you can change it with:
# echo cfq > /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler

My two cents...
See you,
Eric