Re: /dev/sd*

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Less advanced users should use the upgrade tools their distribution provides.
And personally I think less advanced users will be very happy with
/dev/disk (or /dev/hd). No more confusion wether to user /dev/hdx or
/dev/sdx or whatever!

Umm, hdx or sdx is a small impact. The real power of /dev/disk is that not-so-technically minded users can go looking for their disk by its name (or less frequently, by their address (e.g. USB drive)). Especially important since any new disk discovered in the scsi layer gets the next free slot.

Desktop volume management stuff is already doing it. When I connect my ipod, it shows up as IPOD on my desktop regardless of which sd letter it gets. Also, recent distributions use LABEL= tricks to find out root and other partitions to mount on boot.

The major/minor number and device name (which is determined by udev) aren't that important already and will become less of an issue as time passes.

--
tejun