Re: RFC : remote driver debugging efforts

On 8/10/06, Om N. <[email protected]> wrote:
(I do not have a remote power on/off switch. The driver panics so
often that somebody has to babysit the machine to switch it off and
on. We are in different time zones and things are not moving forward at all)

two (or three) things I've done to help this, when I'm working remotely

add panic=30 to your kernel options in grub (or echo 30 >
/proc/sys/kernel/panic) to reboot the system automatically on panic.

set grub to automatically boot the safe kernel by default, and when
making a new kernel, set grub to boot it only once with (say your
default is 0 and the new kernel is 1 in grub)

echo 'savedefault --default=1 --once' | grub --batch

set up netconsole so that you can see the kernel messages (optional) on oops.

finding out about all these was incredibly hard and obtuse :-)  So
hope this helps.