Re: cpufreq stops working after a while

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:39:19PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
 > Ahhh...
 >
 > >From the trace, I see a bunch of "userspace" lines appearing.
 > And sure enough, something called "powernowd" is running,
 > and probably conflicting with the "ondemand" governor.

It'll override it, you can't run both at the same time.
Well, unless you have a dual-core/multi-cpu system, where you
could have a different governor per-core. But that would be loony,
and we should probably disallow that possibility before someone
gets any bright ideas.

Looking at your log however, you only have a single CPU, so it'll
be using userspace exclusively.

 > I'm nuking powernowd, and that'll probably cure it for this box.
 > I guess the distro (kubuntu) must have started "powernowd"
 > even though I told it (the distro) to use "ondemand".
 >
 > Does it make sense that this could change the upper limit, though?

A userspace governor can pretty much invent its own rules. I'm not
familiar with what constraints powernowd has.  It may even have
limits defined in a config file someplace.

Is it behaving again with ondemand ?

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk