Re: [patch 6/6] Move per-device data out of backlight_properties

On 8/11/06, Richard Purdie <[email protected]> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 08:27 -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On 8/11/06, Richard Purdie <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Thinking about this, ideally, struct backlight_properties would be left
> > containing the backlight properties in but become part of struct
> > backlight_device (and allocated with it).
>
> Why would you want to separate properties into a structure? You don't
> normally pass a set of properties around so I am not sure why would we
> need this...

The structure would just end up being optimised away by the compiler so
would just serve to keep the properties themselves separate from the
device data. I'm not so bothered about that but don't really want a
struct backlight_properties around which just contains what would be
better called something like struct backlight_ops. The backlight core
has changed a fair bit and the names are starting to lose meaning.

There is some constant shared data, such as max_brightness, etc, that
is still residing in backlist_poperties so _ops would not be quite
correct.

--
Dmitry