Re: What's the NFS OOM problem?

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:57:11 +0200, Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:24:47PM -0400, Xin Zhao wrote:
>> I often heard of the OOM probelm in NFS, but don't know what it is.
>> Now I am developing a NFS based system and found my system memory
>> (server side) is used too fast. I checked the code but didn't find
>> memory leaking. So I suspect I run into OOM issue.
>
>I simply think that you're cache is filling while your clients access
>a lot of files. That's expected. You might also get quite a bunch of
>dentries cached which will not be accounted for in meminfo. Check
>/proc/meminfo for the cache+buffer size, and check /proc/slabinfo for
>the number of dentries. The usual way to ensure this is only cache is
>to allocate a large amount of memory (let's say all the system RAM
>provided that everything can get swapped), then free it. You'll see
>a lot of free memory after that.
>
>> Can someone help me and give me a brief description on OOM issue?
>
>I don't know about any OOM issue related to NFS. At most it might happen
>on the client (eg: stating firefox from an NFS root) which might not have
>enough memory for new network buffers, but I don't even know if it's
>possible at all.

I once wrote a silly test script that put way too much work into ksoftirqd
and the system slowed right down, it was some time ago, I forget details.

You could see the problem by monitoring `top` on both client and server,
watching the thing choking.  I didn't document it, seemed like a "don't
do that" situation at the time.

Grant.