Re : sparsemem usage

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:40:52 +0200 (CEST)
> moreau francis <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> BTW, ioresouce information (see kernel/resouce.c)
>>>
>>> [kamezawa@aworks Development]$ cat /proc/iomem | grep RAM
>>> 00000000-0009fbff : System RAM
>>> 000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
>>> 00100000-2dfeffff : System RAM
>>>
>>> is not enough ?
>>>
>> well actually you show that to get a really simple information, ie does
>> a page exist ?, we need to parse some kernel data structures like
>> ioresource (which is, IMHO, hackish) or duplicate in each architecture
>> some data to keep track of existing pages.
>>

> becasue memory map from e820(x86) or efi(ia64) are registered to iomem_resource,
> we should avoid duplicates that information. kdump and memory hotplug uses
> this information. (memory hotplug updates this iomem_resource.)
>
> Implementing "page_is_exist" function based on ioresouce is one of generic
> and rubust way to go, I think.
> (if performance of list walking is problem, enhancing ioresouce code is
>  better.)

Why not implementing page_exist() by simply using mem_map[] ? When
allocating mem_map[], we can just fill it with a special value. And
then when registering memory area, we clear this special value with
the "reserved" value. Hence for flatmem model, we can have:

#define page_exist(pfn)        (mem_map[pfn] != SPECIAL_VALUE)

and it should work for sparsemem too and other models that will use
mem_map[].

Another point, is page_exist() going to replace page_valid() ?
I mean page_exist() is going to be something more accurate than
page_valid(). All tests on page_valid() _only_ will be fine to test
page_exist(). But all tests such:

    if (page_valid(x) && page_is_ram(x))

can be replaced by

    if (page_exist(x))

So, again, why not simply improving page_valid() definition rather
than introduce a new service ?

Francis