Regd: Programming a Video Converter

Hi,
I want to write an avi to flv converter in php but i am a complete
newbie to it.

I would like to know the basic flow of entire process of how a
converter code is written (ie. the basic algorithm ) in any programming
language.

That is basically i want to know about what is video compression ,
encoding or decoding and how we can convert from one format to another

Example: "You first create an flv stream , then compress the avi code ,
then copy that code into the flv stream created ."

The above flow may or may not be correct but what i want to know is
this flow .

Any good tutorials or resources where i can learn the basics.

Thank You,
Raja.