Re: [Alsa-user] another in kernel alsa update that breaks backward compatibilty?

On 8/9/06, Sergei Steshenko <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:00:43 +0200
Sam Ravnborg <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:56:57PM +0200, Benoit Fouet wrote:
> > >
> > >Demand stable ABI.
> > >

> > sorry for the noise, but it's been a while now since i began reading
> > mails from this list, and i must admit i don't always (never?) see the
> > point of such messages...
> > if you can help me understand, i'll be very happy to get something more
> > detailed from you...
> Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt
>
>       Sam

I love senselessness and technical incompetence of the document.

As I was taught at school, to prove that a statement is wrong one
has to prove that it is wrong once.

Yep, the only trick is that you need a valid proof ;)

Regardless of what the document says stable ABI can be achieved
today - run a chosen Linux kernel version + chosen ALSA version under XEN or
similar, and assign sound card to these (chosen Linux kernel version +
chosen ALSA version).

Redirect sound ('ncat' + friends) to this (chosen Linux kernel version +
chosen ALSA version) from your kernel in which developers refuse
to ensure stable ABI.

Because of the chosen (kernel+ALSA) you have stable ABI regardless
of what Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt says and ALSA + kernel
developers think.

You are confused. By your logic you do not need XEN at all - just take
a kernel version + alsa and never change/update it - and viola!
"stable" ABI.

--
Dmitry