Re: memory resource accounting (was Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/5] Going forward with Resource Management - A cpu controller)

Martin Bligh wrote:

It also saves you from maintaining huge lists against each page.

Worse case, you want to bill everyone who opens that address_space
equally. But the semantics on exit still suck.

What was Alan's quote again? "unfair, unreliable, inefficient ...
pick at least one out of the three". or something like that.

What's the sucking semantics on exit? I haven't looked much at the
existing memory controllers going around, but the implementation I
imagine looks something like this (I think it is conceptually similar
to the basic beancounters idea):

You have to increase the other processes allocations, putting them
over their limits. If you then force them into reclaim, they're going
to stall, and give bad latency.

Not within a particular container. If the process exits but leaves around
some memory charge, then that just remains within the same container.

If you want to remove a container, then you have a hierarchy of billing
and your charge just gets accounted to the parent.

- anyone who allocates a page for anything gets charged for that page.
Except interrupt/softirq context. Could we ignore these for the moment?

This does give you kernel (slab, pagetable, etc) allocations as well as
  userspace. I don't like the idea of doing controllers for inode cache
  and controllers for dentry cache, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

- each struct page has a backpointer to its billed container. At the mm
summit Linus said he didn't want back pointers, but I clarified with him and he isn't against them if they are easily configured out when not using memory controllers.

- memory accounting containers are in a hierarchy. If you want to destroy a container but it still has billed memory outstanding, that gets charged
  back to the parent. The data structure itself obviously still needs to
stay around, to keep the backpointers from going stale... but that could
  be as little as a word or two in size.

The reason I like this way of accounting is that it can be done with a couple of hooks into page_alloc.c and an ifdef in mm.h, and that is the extent of the impact on core mm/ so I'd be against anything more intrusive unless this
really doesn't work.

See "inefficent" above (sorry ;-)) What you've chosen is more correct,
but much higher overhead. The point was that there's tradeoffs either
way - the conclusion we came to last time was that to make it 100%
correct, you'd be better off going with a model like Xen.

So if someone says they want it 100% correct, I can tell them to use
Xen and not put accounting into any place in the kernel that allocates
memory? Sweet OK.

If we're happy with doing userspace only memory, then a similar scheme
can be implemented on an object-accounting basis (eg. vmas). I think
there is something that already implements this.

1. You're adding a backpointer to struct page.

That's nowhere near the overhead of pte chain rmaps, though. I think it
is perfectly acceptible (assuming you *did* want to account kernel page
allocations) and probably will be difficult to notice on non-crazy-highmem
boxes. Which is just about everyone we care about now.

2. Each page is not accounted to one container, but shared across them,
so the billing changes every time someone forks or exits. And not just
for that container, but all of them. Think pte chain based rmap ...
except worse.

In my proposed scheme, it is just the first who allocates. You hope that
statistically, that is good enough. Otherwise you could go into tracking
what process has a reference to which dentry... good luck getting that
past Al and Christoph.

3. When a container needs to "shrink" when somebody else exits, how do
we do reclaim pages from a specific container?

Not the problem of accounting. Any other scheme will have a similar
problem.

However, having the container in the struct page *could* actually help
directed reclaim FWIW.