Re: swsusp and suspend2 like to overheat my laptop

Hi.

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 09:35, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 19:31 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > > The problem will be ACPI related, not particular to swsusp or Suspend2,
> > > which is why you're seeing it with both implementations. I would
> > > suggest that you contact the ACPI guys, and also look to see whether
> > > there is a bios update available and/or a DSDT override for your
> > > machine. The later will help if the problem is with your particular
> > > machine's ACPI support, the former if it's a more general ACPI issue.
> >
> > Thanks for the response Nigel,
> >
> > There does exist a recent bios update for this machine:
> >
> > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&l
> >ndocid=MIGR-58127
> >
> > Hmm, it requires windows, and I've already wiped out that partition.  I
> > did a search but it seems really scary to update the BIOS via Linux.
> >
> > Anyone else out there have a Thinkpad G41 and has successfully upgraded
> > their BIOS?
>
> I would just report it to the ACPI people.  It's a bug if Linux does not
> work with the same BIOS + DSDT that the other OS works on.

True. I was assuming (perhaps wrongly?) that Steven is interested in both
getting the bug fixed and being able to hibernate while he waits for the ACPI
guys to achieve bug-for-bug compatibility with M$; hence suggesting doing
both.

Regards,

Nigel
--