RE: Time to forbid non-subscribers from posting to the list?

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 12:00 -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
> > The kernel developers who need to keep the barrier to bug reports low
> > like the current policy.
> >
> > Get a good spam filter, I only get 1-2 pieces a day in my LKML folder.
> >
> > 	Jeff
>
> 	How is everyone individually spam filtering better than one central spam
> filter? More likelihood that at least one relevent person will get the bug
> report? Certainly a single central spam filter can get more resources aimed
> at it to make sure it doesn't suppress anything important.

There IS one central spam filter already, but apparently a 100:1
ham:spam ratio is not good enough for some people.  Do you have any idea
what this list would look like if there were no filtering at all?

At some point you just have to say it's good enough, that to filter any
more aggressively would entail an unacceptable risk of false positives,
and that the small minority for whom a single spam is intolerable can do
their own filtering.

Lee