Re: Univeral Protocol Driver (using UNDI) in Linux

Daniel Rodrick wrote:

Agreed. But still having a single driver for all the NICs would be
simply GREAT for my setup, in which all the PCs will be booted using
PXE only. So apart from performance / relilability issues, what are
the technical roadblocks in this?

I'm sure having a single driver for all the NICs is a feature cool
enough to die for. Yes, it might have drawbacks like just pointed out
by Peter, but surely a "single driver for all NIC" feature could prove
to be great in some systems.

Assuming it works, which is questionable in my opinion.

But since it does not already exist in the kernel, there must be some
technical feasibility isse. Any ideas on this?

No, that's not the reason. The Intel code was ugly, and the limitations made other people not want to spend any time hacking on it.

	-hpa