Re: Zeroing data blocks

Hi,

I want to do this at the filesystem-level not in user-space.
I have a stackable-filesystem that runs as a layer on top of the
existing filesystem (with all the function pointers mapped to the
corresponding base filesystem function pointers, and other suitable
adjustments).
So yes I have access to the filesystem.
But the question is how can I access those particular data-blocks?

On 8/5/06, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 00:55 -0700, Avinash Ramanath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As per your suggestion, if I write a file with zero bits, it would
> remap to other pages, and I might not zero the real pages. So is there
> any other way that I can access the pages that a file is using?

there is an ioctl to find the blocks the file is in.. but still that's
only a snapshot, not a guarantee. What you really need/want is to do
this at the filesystem level, you can't reliably do it above that level.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com