Re: [RFC 1/2] Char: mxser, upgrade to 1.9.1

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:52:32 +0159
Jiri Slaby <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:29:43 -0400
> > Jiri Slaby <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> mxser, upgrade to 1.9.1
> >>
> >> Change driver according to original 1.9.1 moxa driver.
> >
> > Where did these changes come from?  The Moxa website, perhaps?
> >
> > Do we know what they do?  Have you been able to test it?
>
> Ok. Bernard did not test it:
> <cite>
> In fact, due to distro version differences between mine and the one
> installed on my friends linuxbox (I was running Mandriva 2006 with 2.6
> kernel and he had a Knoppix system with 2.4 kernel), I did not had the
> opportunity to check if the new version sent by Moxa support worked
> before he disappeared.
> But I dont see any reason it would not. Moxa guys have all the hardware
> in their development departement to check their product drivers.
>
> I just verified that 1.9.1 driver source could be compiled under kernel
> 2.6. and so did it.
> </cite>
>
> So, what do you expect me to do, Andrew? Add just pci_ids + its config with no
> int->ulong conversion + writing ~UART_IER_THRI to the port?

It's hard.

Perhaps we could merge it and stick a printk in there saying "if you have
the hardware for this driver, please send an email to ...".

Then when we get a few people we ask them "do you want to become an mxser
tester".

Then we add a comment to the driver (or ./TESTERS) recording the names of
the people who have volunteered to test this driver.

So next time this sort of thing happens, we know what to do.

Would such a system work?  Maybe.  Partially.  If it does, it would be
modestly useful.