Re: [RFC] ELF Relocatable x86 and x86_64 bzImages

Dave Jones wrote:
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 05:14:37PM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

 > I guess the practical question is do people see a real performance benefit
 > when loading the kernel at 4MB?

Linus claimed lmbench saw some huge wins. Others showed that for eg,
a kernel compile took the same amount of time, so take from that what you will..

 > Possibly the right solution is to do like I did on x86_64 and simply remove
 > CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START, and always place the kernel at 4MB, or something like
 > that.
> > The practical question is what to do to keep the complexity from spinning
 > out of control.  Removing CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START would seriously help with
 > that.

Given the two primary uses of that option right now are a) the aforementioned
perf win and b) building kexec kernels, I doubt anyone would miss it once
we go relocatable ;-)

We DO want the performance gain with a conventional bootloader. The perf win is about the location of the uncompressed kernel, not the compressed kernel.

	-hpa