Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/5] Going forward with Resource Management - A cpu controller

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 23:45 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:50:36 +0530
> Dipankar Sarma <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > And now we've dumped the good infrastructure and instead we've contentrated
> > > on the controller, wired up via some imaginative ab^H^Hreuse of the cpuset
> > > layer.
> >
> > FWIW, this controller was originally written for f-series.
>
> What the heck is an f-series?

That is how the latest posting was referred in ckrm-tech mailing list.

> <googles, looks at
> http://images.automotive.com/cob/factory_automotive/images/Features/auto_shows/2005_IEAS/2005_Ford_F-series_Harley-Davidson_front.JPG,
> gets worried about IBM design methodologies>

he he...

> > It should
> > be trivial to put it back there. So really, f-series isn't gone
> > anywhere. If you want to merge it, I am sure it can be re-submitted.
>
> Well.  It shouldn't be a matter of what I want to merge - you're the
> resource-controller guys.  But...
>
> > > I wonder how many of the consensus-makers were familiar with the
> > > contemporary CKRM core?
> >
> > I think what would be nice is a clear strategy on whether we need
> > to work out the infrastructure or the controllers first.
>
> We should put our thinking hats on and decide what sort of infrastructure
> will need to be in place by the time we have a useful number of useful
> controllers implemented.
>
> > One of
> > the strongest points raised in the BoF was - forget the infrastructure
> > for now, get some mergable controllers developed.
>
> I wonder what inspired that approach.  Perhaps it was a reaction to CKRM's
> long and difficult history?  Perhaps it was felt that doing standalne
> controllers with ad-hoc interfaces would make things easier to merge?
>
> Perhaps.  But I think you guys know that the end result would be inferior,
> and that getting good infrastructure in place first will produce a better
> end result, but you decided to go this way because you want to get
> _something_ going?

To some extent yes...

> > If you
> > want to stick to f-series infrastructure and want to see some
> > consensus controllers evolve on top of it, that can be done too.
>
> Do you think that the CKRM core as last posted had any unnecessary
> features?  I don't have the operational experience to be able to judge

No, not at all. But there were some disagreements w.r.t which interface
to use. So, as pointed by Vatsa in a different email, we wanted to
proceed with controller implementation (where we can get more
agreements) and avoid the controversial topic for now.