Re: Linux v2.6.18-rc3

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Russell King wrote:

> > The serial layer should use set_termios() when users set the termios state
> > (surprise surprise), not to emulate suspend/restore.
>
> Yes Linus, you're obviously right.  Would you mind re-engineering this
> while I'm away for the next few days.  For _ALL_ serial drivers, not
> just 8250.  Thanks.

The problem is that right now, the silly set_termios() call can be
actively detrimental to sub-drivers that do this right.

I suspect it would be a lot better to just fix a few major serial drivers
(and yes, that means primarily 8250), and just force others to fix
themselves as developers get around to it and care (in many cases they
might not even do so). As it is, going to set_termios way is likely to
just make things _worse_ in the long run, by just not letting the serial
driver do what's sane.

		Linus