Re: metadata plugins (was Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion)

Dnia Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:45:07 +0200, Horst H. von Brand <[email protected]> napisał:

Vladimir V. Saveliev <[email protected]> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 17:32 +0200, �ukasz Mierzwa wrote:
> Dnia Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:33:56 +0200, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>
> napisał:
> > In other words, if a filesystem wants to do something fancy, it needs to > > do so WITH THE VFS LAYER, not as some plugin architecture of its own. We > > already have exactly the plugin interface we need, and it literally _is_
> > the VFS interfaces - you can plug in your own filesystems with
> > "register_filesystem()", which in turn indirectly allows you to plug in > > your per-file and per-directory operations for things like lookup etc.

> What fancy (beside cryptocompress) does reiser4 do now?

it is supposed to provide an ability to easy modify filesystem behaviour
in various aspects without breaking compatibility.

If it just modifies /behaviour/ it can't really do much. And what can be
done here is more the job of the scheduler, not of the filesystem. Keep your
hands off it!

You modify the way the fs stores files or let You access them, since when it is a job for a scheduler?

If it somehow modifies /on disk format/, it (by *definition*) isn't
compatible. Ditto.

> Can someone point me to a list of things that are required by kernel
> mainteiners to merge reiser4 into vanilla?

list of features reiser4 does not have now:
O_DIRECT support - we are working on it now
various block size support

Is this required?

quota support
xattrs and acls

Without those, it is next to useless anyway.

I don't use any of this and I live quite happly.