Re: [bug] e100: checksum mismatch on 82551ER rev10

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Auke Kok wrote:

[cc-ing netdev]
[adding original thread authors back, please do not strip CC]

[There were no Cc's visible in the lkml archive I used as source of my quotes.]

Charlie Brady wrote:

Let's assume that these things are all true, and the NIC currently does not work perfectly, just imperfectly, but acceptably. With the recent driver change, it now does not work at all. That's surely a bug in the driver.

There is no logic in that sentence at all. You're saying that the driver is broken because it doesn't fix an error in the EEPROM?

I am not asking the driver to fix errors in the EEPROM. I'm asking it to send and receive packets, as it has done in the past.

We're trying extremely hard to fix real errors here (especially when we find that hardware resellers send out hardware with EEPROM problems) ...

I do not expect the kernel to perform QA tests on my hardware, just work.

and you are asking for a workaround that will (likely) introduce random errors and failure into your kernel. I do not want to accept responsability for that ...

You publish your code under the GPL. You explicitly disclaim any warranty.

If you want to edit your own kernel then I am fine with it.

I suspect that if all/many T23 laptops perform as mine does then some major vendors will also edit their kernels. I'm sure they would rather not do that.

If you want to recalculate the checksum yourself and put it in the EEPROM then I am also fine with that.

Can you provide a reference as to how I might do that?

As long as you never ask for support for that NIC. But we can't support an option that allows all users to willingly enable a piece of non-properly-working hardware. Because that is what it is: Not properly configured hardware.

Which it may be. But it doesn't work at all with the new kernel, where it has in the past.

The bottom line is that your problem is that a specific hardware vendor is/was selling badly configured hardware, and you buy it from them, even after it's End Of Lifed for that vendor. Even though that vendor did buy the units properly configured and had all the tools needed to configure them properly.

I don't think either of us knows that.

I can maybe fix your problem by seeing if we can get you an eeprom update...

That'd be great. Thanks!

Regards

---
Charlie